There are many keyboard combinations that can be use to take a screenshot on Mac. I’ll split them up in two groups.
Shortcuts that saves the image directly to the desktop:
- Cmd-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen
- Cmd-Shift-4, then select an area: This will take a screenshot of the selected area
- Cmd-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window
Shortcuts that saves the image to the clipboard:
- Cmd-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen
- Cmd-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area
- Cmd-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window
There are many snipping tools that can be used to take screenshot.
Windows 7 own buildin Snipping tools. Just press the Windows-Key and search for the program “Snipping Tools”. Introduced in Windows Vista.
Jing is very popular one that is able to record video as well, available for both Mac and Windows.